Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo (found first FUNimation theatrical dub of anime film; 2013)
Poster for the film.
Date found: 03 Mar 2023
Found by: @pkmncrystalVEVO
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo is the third film in the Rebuild of Evangelion film series by Hideaki Anno. A reimagining of the 1995 anime series Neon Genesis Evangelion, it was originally released in Japan on November 17th, 2012. The film would later be picked up for an international release by FUNimation Entertainment the following year. An English dub for the updated 3.33 home video release would be given a theatrical premiere for the New York Comic Con on October 11-12th, 2013. The film would later receive a redone English dub with the same voice cast with Studio Khara, the animation studio behind the film, heavily co-producing this time alongside newly translated subtitles from Studio Khara that are more literal translations, due to the poor reception and inaccuracies in the first dub. Officially, Khara claimed they wanted to bring the dub "closer to their original vision".
In January 2014, bootleg handheld recordings of the dub were uploaded to the Youtube channel xSweetInnovade. Later, a fan combined these into a 28-minute compilation, which synced the recorded audio from xSweetInnovade to the final release and the actual film, which was uploaded on Dailymotion.
The film would later get an English-language DVD and Blu-ray release on February 2nd, 2016, over two years after the initial English premiere. While the DVD and Blu-ray releases have both FUNimation's initial theatrical subtitles used for its limited theatrical run and a newly revised home video subtitle translation by Studio Khara, the only English dub included is the revised dub, with the initial dub from the theatrical release being excluded from a home video release.
A third English dub would be done in 2021 by Dubbing Brothers US for Amazon Prime Video alongside redone English dubs for the prior two films to go along with the English dub of the fourth film, Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time.
On the evening of March 3rd, 2023, Twitter user @pkmncrystalVEVO posted a tweet thread saying that they had recently come into possession of the said unrevised FUNimation dub of the movie, explaining in the replies that it was sourced from a rare, scratched up screener DVD. With help, they were able to get the disc working and rip the original dub off it. They would later upload the entire unrevised FUNimation dub to MEGA, then later to the Internet Archive. Finally rendering the whole unrevised dub found.
- MEGA link for the first/unrevised FUNimation dub of the film.
- Internet Archive upload for the audio of the first/unrevised FUNimation dub of the film.
- City of Houston (found unreleased "Evangelion" AIDS PSA for American city; 1999)
- Shinji and Good Friends (found "Neon Genesis Evangelion" PC tie-in games; 1999)
- FUNimation Licenses Evangelion: 3.0 Film - Anime News Network
- Evangelion 3.33 English Dub Premiere at New York Comic Con - FUNimation
- FUNimation response on Facebook
- EvaGeeks forum discussion on the dub
- EvaWiki article on 3.0 and Evangelion dubs
- Toonami official tweet
- @pkmncrstalVEVO tweet thread on which they stated the possession of the unrevised FUNimation dub.