Fire Emblem Wii (lost tech demo; late 2000s)
Fire Emblem Wii refers to an experimental game that was developed following the release of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, also for the Wii. Outside of information, screenshots, and concept art revealed in the 2015 Making of Fire Emblem book, little else is known about it.
Though all mainline games in the series involve turn-based strategy, Fire Emblem Wii heavily departs from it, and played more similarly to a real-time strategy game, just like Pikmin, another Nintendo franchise. The game has a mode called "Field", which involves controlling a group of characters. It would have featured NPC interaction, Enemy Encounters, and exploring areas freely. Whenever encountering an enemy, an icon shows up, and, upon contact, the player could initiate combat with said enemy. The player could also visit towns, buildings, and caves.
The camera in field mode is in third-person view, and, like most 3D action games, can be altered to the player's discretion. Aside from zooming in or out, it doesn't have any other known function.
Interestingly, in the available screenshots, the characters Stefan, Ilyana, and Rhys from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and its sequel can be seen. However, it is not known if the game has any ties with said games or the models are just placeholders.
Cancellation and Availability
Due to its experimental nature, as well as a lack of proper ideas and an objective, it was never intended for release, and was permanently shelved. No builds of it have been known to survive, and it is unknown whether Intelligent Systems, Nintendo, or at least an employee, still has a copy of it in their possession.
That being said, the concept of exploring an area would later be used for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, both of which are games released in later years, while Fire Emblem Engage expands on this further by allowing the player to explore a map post-battle.
- Fire Emblem (partially lost early 4-koma manga anthologies based on tactical role-playing game franchise, 1994-2002)
- Fire Emblem: Archanea Saga (partially lost original Satellaview version of "Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem" bonus content; 1997)
- Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (lost early builds of Game Boy Advance tactical role-playing game; 1997-2002)
- Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness (lost build of cancelled Nintendo 64DD tactical role-playing game; 1997-2000)
- Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade promotional trial maps (lost promotional DLC of Game Boy Advance tactical role-playing game; 2002)
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses (partially found Cristina Vee voice recordings from English dub of Nintendo Switch tactical role-playing game; 2018-2019)
- Excerpt of an interview from The Making of Fire Emblem, taken from XKAN's website. Retrieved 05 Jul '21
- XKAN's article on Fire Emblem Wii's design notes. Retrieved 05 Jul '21
- Serenes Forest's article of Fire Emblem Wii. Retrieved 05 Jul '21