GMA-Ayala Millennium Party (partially found Filipino millennium new year countdown; 1999)
The GMA-Ayala Millennium Party is a Filipino television special by GMA Network that broadcast the countdown to the millennium 2000. GMA partnered with Ayala Corporation for the special, and along with other participating broadcasters, with 2000 Today, an international broadcast television special.
Info[edit | edit source]
The special started at 5:30 pm as a 25-hour broadcast and it is known that it will show the millennium on other countries like the Pacific Islands and later, the US West Coast. It is known that several people will perform such as Gary Valenciano, Nolyn Cabahug, Regine Velasquez, Jaya, Side A, Parokya Ni Edgar, Eraserheads, Bolipata Brothers, Philippine Madrigal Singers, APO Hiking Society, Kuh Ledesma, and Cecile Licad.
10 minutes before midnight, Regine Velasquez performed "Written in the Sands" with 200 children in the roof of The Peninsula Manila.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Several footage of the special exists on the internet but he full 25-hour broadcast hasn't yet resurfaced. In 2020, a channel named ThrowbackRegineVelasquezPH uploaded the 10 minutes before midnight footage but was deleted. A 2 minute of the video was re-uploaded by Roselle Marasigan in 2021. A live version of Written in the Sands was uploaded by Danny Tan on 2020 and Eraserheads performing during the special. Philippine Television Archives archivist and co-owner theFoggy asked Danny Tan if he has tapes of the coverage, and he said yes among the 12 VHS tapes he has but it is too expensive to digitize it all.
On April 24, 2022, RV Rewind reuploaded the 10 minutes before midnight footage albeit only Regine's performance was shown. On April 28, 2022, the identification video of the coverage was found by 𝙅𝘼𝘾𝙊𝘽𝙎𝙃𝙇𝙏𝙍 from a source, along with other GMA promos.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Blogspot about the special.
- Snippet of the promo advertising the special (Timestamp, 2:34).
- Original source of the promo.
References[edit | edit source]
- Manila Standard issue on December 31, 1999. Retrieved 02 Nov '21
- PinoyExchange discussion about the millennium party. Retrieved 02 Nov '21
- Wayback Machine capture of the video Retrieved 02 Nov '21
- Reupload by Roselle Marasigan. Retrieved 02 Nov '21
- Written in the Sands LIVE version. Retrieved 02 Nov '21
- Eraserheads on the millennium special. Retrieved 02 Nov '21
- Regine Velasquez - Countdown To Y2K Opening Ft. Cacai (Dec.31,1999) Retrieved 25 Apr '22
- GMA Millennium Day Broadcast Station ID - December 1999 Retrieved 28 Apr '22