Madhouse on Castle Street (partially found BBC television play; 1963)
Madhouse on Castle Street was a television play that was aired only once on January 13th, 1963, by BBC TV as a part of the BBC Sunday-Night Play series.
One of the lodgers of an English boarding house has locked himself in his room, leaving a note stating that he has decided to retire from the world. His sister and the boarders try to convince him to come out and explain himself.
The play was written by Evan Jones. A then-unknown Bob Dylan was cast for the role of the main character after Saville saw him perform in New York City; however, Dylan lacked the ability to play the part, and he was given the role of a new character––Bobby–-who punctuated scenes in song. The main character was rewritten into two new ones. The production staff planned to shoot the play in a single recording session, but this failed. The play's completion was delayed due to a blizzard.
The BBC wiped the master tape of the play in 1968, and no other copies are known to exist.
Reel-to-reel recordings of four songs performed by Dylan, recorded by viewers of the program, were turned into the BBC in 2005 and remastered for use in the documentary Dylan in the Madhouse. Two full tracks, "Ballad of the Gliding Swan" and "Blowin' in the Wind", were released on the bootleg album Bob Dylan & Friends - Decades Live'61 To '94. The script reportedly survives, but is not available to read in any format.
See Also (Other programs that may/not may wiped by BBC)
- 1953 British Grand Prix (partially found footage of Formula One race; 1953)
- Adam Adamant Lives! (partially lost BBC children's TV series; 1966)
- Anne of Green Gables (lost TV mini-series; 1972)
- Dad's Army (partially lost episodes and sketches; 1968-1970)
- Doctor Who (partially lost episodes of British science-fiction TV series; 1963-1974)
- Jazz Goes to College (partially found BBC jazz concert series; 1966-1967)
- Late Night Line-Up (partially found Beatles "Abbey Road" special; 1969)
- Out of the Unknown (partially found BBC sci-fi series; 1967-1971)
- Requiem for a Heavyweight (partially found BBC Sunday-Night Theatre TV play; 1957)
- The Complete and Utter History of Britain (partially found British sketch comedy TV series; 1969)
- The Quatermass Experiment (partially found BBC sci-fi serials; 1953)
- The Sad Story of Henry (lost live BBC broadcast adaptation of "The Railway Series" books; 1953)
- Top Of The Pops (partially lost British music series; 1964-2006)
- United! (lost British soap opera; 1965-1967)
- Zingalong (partially found British children's series; 2002-2004)
- IMDB page for Madhouse on Castle Street. Retrieved 18 Jan '18
- The first half of Dylan in the Madhouse. Retrieved 31 Jan '18
- The second half of Dylan in the Madhouse. Retrieved 31 Jan '18
- Farinaccio, Vince (2007). Nothing to Turn Off: The Films and Video of Bob Dylan. pp. 6–12. Retrieved 28 Jan '18
- Independent article on the recovery of the recordings. Retrieved 28 Jan '18
- Telegraph article on the public appeal by the BBC. Retrieved 18 Feb '18