Medical Island (partially found English dub of Korean comedy-horror web cartoon; 2006)
Medical Island (메디컬 아일랜드) is a South Korean-American online comedy-horror animated series produced by Margaret Dean and Michael Polis, and produced by Studio Animal. This show primarily uses flash animation but also makes use of CGI. All of its 18 episodes are shorts. According to Studio Animal's website, episodes 1-8 were released in 2003 and episodes 9-18 were released in 2005. Episodes 1-8 and 18 don't have dialogue, while episodes 9-17 do.
Medical Island is set in a prison-like island medical facility controlled by Dr. Franken. The facility captures people and modifies them with experiments that alter their bodies. The facility is staffed by a legion of cloned nurses, specialists, and zombies. Many patients try to escape the island and/or attack the staff. Medical Island is unsuitable to minors due to its haunted scenes and depiction of gore and male genitalia.
The show's distribution rights were acquired by Warner Bros. Online at one point. In May 2006, it was reported that Warner Bros. made a deal with 180 Solutions to release the show on the controversial adware website Zango.com. Viewers had to install Zango's ad software before they can view the show. By the end of July, Warner Bros. pulled its content from Zango due to the lack of a third-party certification on Zango's business practices meeting Warner Bros'. standards. By March 2009, the show was viewable on Crackle.com. It was nominated in MIPCOM's 2006 Mobile TV Screenings & Awards for the Best Original Made-for-Mobile Film or Video Content category.
The complete series in Korean was uploaded to YouTube by Studio Animal and the Gyeonggi Provincial Government Agency. Despite that Medical Island is still mentioned on Sony Crackle, none of the episodes play anymore. The YouTube user "areyoutakenfool" uploaded the English dubs of episodes 9, 10, and 17, all which have the Crackle watermark. Summaries of all episodes on Zango have been preserved on the Internet Archive.
- Episode list on Studio Animal Website Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- Internet Archive listing of Studio Animal website dated July 2007. Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- Internet Archive listing of the official website dated February 2009. Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- Internet Archive listing of Zango Medical Island website dated July 2006. Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- Review on Tubefilter Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- Namuwiki article on Medical Island Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- "Warner Bros. Online Partners With Adware Company" Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- "Warner Bros. Calls Off Deal With Adware Company" Retrieved 21 Aug '19
- "Mipcom announces nominations for annual Mobile TV Screenings and Awards" Retrieved 21 Aug '19