No Known Survivors (lost Dead Space Flash game; 2008)
Dead Space: No Known Survivors was a nine-part episodic Point & Click Flash game, released alongside the Dead Space comics in order to promote the first game. It was part of a contest where players would answer questions about the lore of No Known Survivors and also solve cartographic puzzles. The winner would receive a free copy of Dead Space, the Dead Space comics, a Dead Space art book, a replica of Isaac's helmet, a copy of the film Dead Space Downfall, and a few other Dead Space-themed items. The game featured a combination of 3D models and 2D models, with differing art styles to tell its stories. You would access different episodes by clicking one of the nine limbs on the menu, with each of the limbs being from a Necromorph. The Flash game was created by Deep Focus, and episodes were released from August 25th, 2008, to October 21st, 2008. The website that hosted the flash game, noknownsurvivors.com was shut down around 2012 when it was sold to a Japanese company.
No Known Survivors went through the story of two different people prior to the events of Dead Space, with their stories being separated into four chapters each, with the fifth chapter as an "intermission" of sorts. The game had you stuck in one room for both of the main stories, with many interactable objects to click on to learn about the story. The first episode had you go through the story of George Greggs, a man trapped in a room, with Necromorphs right outside. He started dating one of his patients who lost their fingers in an accident, Jane Gauthier, who broke up with him on the day of the Necromorph outbreak on Aegis 7. Greggs caresses Jane's fingers, while Necromorphs break in and kill him. Jane's fingers then turn into Necromorphs themselves. An artificial intelligence, CECL-RC then comments on Jane Gauthier's and George Greggs's fates in the intermission. The second episode had the player control Stephan right after an attack by Gavin. Before this, Stephan, Dennis, and Gavin had discovered that the USG Ishimura was in restricted airspace. Gavin Becker's boss, Commander Chang, had ordered him to kill his co-workers to cover up the incident at Aegis 7. Gavin then killed Dennis and was attempting to get into the room Stephan resided in to kill him too. After killing Stephan, Commander Chang tells him to await pick up. However, Gavin cannot live with the guilt and kills himself instead.
- Description of No Known Survivors.
- GameFAQs forum about the Flash game.
- Fandom page detailing the story.
- No Known Survivors article by Engadget.
- News article about No Known Survivors.
- Red Ring Circus article about the game.
- IGN article about the game.
- No Known Survivors article.
- Bloody Disgusting article on the release of chapter three of episode two.
- Bloody Disgusting article on the release of chapter three of episode one.
- Page by Daves Zulborski, a developer of the game.
- Interview with developers.
- Dread Central article on the game, might include a way to play it without the website, however it doesn't seem to function.
- Wired article.
- CBR article on the game.
- Gizmodo article about the Flash game.
- Blood Good Horror's interview with Andrew Green, a developer.
- Vitamin M's article on the game.
- Huffpost article on the game.
- Strangera article on the game, in Russian.
- ARGNet article about the game.
- Article, containing the animated comic, mentions game.
- Chud article.
- Article about interview with Deep Focus by CEO of Deep Focus, Ian Schafer.
- Giantbomb article mentioning No Known Survivors.
- Archived home page from the website.
- Archived page with rules.
- The contest's leaderboard.
- The registration page.
- Page after registration is done.
- The game itself.