SM City North EDSA (found commercial for Filipino shopping mall; 1990s)
"It's waiting for you."
Date found: 03 March 2023
Found by: View on the Third - Jojo Bailon
SM City North EDSA, is a Filipino shopping mall. It is regarded as the first SM Supermall in the country and the eleventh largest shopping mall in the world. In the 1990s, a commercial was made advertising the mall.
A car with its side mirror getting lower was shown then a female voice asking "Where are you going my dear?" then a male person said "I'm on my way to SM City." with the car's engine turning on. Arriving in the middle, a guy shouts "Wow!" with scenes of Food (Family Eating at the Foodcourt), Shopping (Shoppers at the Department store), Fun (inside of an arcade with a dancing mascot and kids) and Movies (people watching a movie at the cinema). In Maskman-like background music, a lady got shocked/startled then the car appeared on the cinema screen. A girl holding a popcorn looked around and scenery of SM City North EDSA was shown along with the jingle "There's Nothing Like... SM City!" with a guy ending the ad with "It's waiting for you"
The commercial is praised for its CGI depiction of the mall and it's the only commercial of the said mall at that time. In 1993, a slightly revised version was made by adding "NOW OPEN: SM City Cebu" at the end. This said to last until 1994.
The commercial aired during Family Kuarta o Kahon, which is a sponsor of the show and it is known that this commercial aired in every gap. It also aired along with other sponsors' commercials of Family Kuarta o Kahon along with Promac Karaoke. It is unknown if it is aired on other channels or programs, but eyewitnesses claimed they saw the ad from the late 80s to 2000. It was also played in the cinemas of the said mall.
The commercial resurfaced on March 03, 2023 by View on the Third - Jojo Bailon, with the revised version yet to surface.
- Facebook post about the commercial and another lost commercial. Retrieved 15 Dec '21
- PinoyExchange forum where someone mentioned the said ad. Retrieved 15 Dec '21
- Another Facebook post about the ad. Retrieved 20 Jan '22
- Person mentioning the commercial on a Facebook post about long-running/reaired commercials Retrieved 15 Dec '21
- Facebook mention of the commercial almost a month before its resurface. Retrieved 04 Mar '23
- SM City North EDSA commercial Retrieved 04 Mar '23