Super Monkey Ball Mini (found promotional tie-in Flash game of GameCube platformer; 2001)
Date found: 12 Mar 2020
Found by: Pikko, Jezs
Super Monkey Ball Mini was an online Flash game published by Sega in 2001 to tie in with the Nintendo GameCube game Super Monkey Ball. It was considered an impressive Flash game at the time, with it featuring 3D courses that could be rotated, with the player tilting these courses to guide AiAi to the goal. The player could choose from 9 floors, but there was a tenth floor that could only be accessed by beating floor 9.
However, the game was eventually taken down around the mid-2000s, making it effectively unplayable. For many years, only the SWF for the menu stub survived, with the rest of the game being lost. This is because the game was spread out over several SWFs stored in one location. instead of storing all of the assets in one SWF file. This included the music, the graphics, and the levels.
On May 18th, 2017, LMW user Pikko found the full game in its entirety except for floor 10 and the ending screen and music on the website DonPixel.
However, on March 12th, 2020, Jezs found the entire game including the 10th floor as well as ending screen and music on Mike Dobbin's website as well as the Banana Blitz Mini Flash game.
- Super Monkey Ball 2 (partially lost promotional monthly wallpapers for GameCube sequel platformer; 2002)
- Super Monkey Ball 3: Banana Crazy (lost build of cancelled GameCube sequel platformer; 2002-2004)
- Super Monkey Ball Wiki page on Super Monkey Ball Mini.
- The surviving menu stub of Super Monkey Ball Mini.
- The site where you could play the full Super Monkey Ball Mini.
- A blog post mentioning the Flash game. Retrieved 17 Feb '22