Super Paper Mario (lost build of unreleased original GameCube version of Wii side-scrolling platformer; 2006)
The beta version of Super Paper Mario's title screen as is still in the Wii version's files, was the title screen for the GameCube version.
Super Paper Mario is a video game for the Nintendo Wii system, released in April of 2007 in North America. However, the game was originally going to be released for the Nintendo GameCube, and a GameCube build of the game was shown at E3 2006, seemingly near completion with a planned 2006 release date. Due to the release of the Nintendo Wii and discontinuation of the GameCube, the game was reworked for the Wii and delayed to April of 2007. The GameCube version of the game as shown at E3 besides a few videos of game play has not resurfaced since.
The game was originally a GameCube exclusive and was at one point considered for release on both the GameCube and the Wii. Ultimately, it was made a Wii exclusive, leaving the GameCube version mostly lost. Some articles from around E3 2006 mention various differences that the GameCube beta had, such as character names and how various features of the game would be activated differently. There is an N-Sider article from this period of time written by someone who played the GameCube build before release, said article featuring several differences from the final version.
A copy of the GameCube build has not been leaked in any form, as only two known videos of real gameplay footage of the GameCube version has surfaced online, as well as the game's E3 2006 trailer.
- BS Super Mario Collection (partially lost Satellaview broadcast versions of compilation platformer; 1997-1998)
- Mario Artist (lost builds of unreleased Nintendo 64DD games; 1999-2000)
- Mario's Castle (lost build of cancelled game on Nintendo's "Project Atlantis" handheld console; existence unconfirmed; 1995-1998)
- Mario Demo (lost Virtual Boy tech demo; 1994)
- Mario's Face (lost Nintendo DS tech demo; 2004)
- Mario Motors (lost build of unreleased Nintendo DS racer; early 2000s)
- Mario Kart XXL (lost Game Boy Advance tech demo; 2004)
- New Super Mario Bros. (lost early builds of Nintendo DS 2D platformer; 2004-2006)
- New Super Mario Bros. Mii (lost Wii U tech demo; 2011)
- Super Mario 128 (lost build of cancelled GameCube/Wii game; 2000-2006)
- Super Mario 64 (partially found Spaceworld '95 demo of Nintendo 64 3D platformer; 1995)
- Super Mario Bros. 3 (lost Japanese prototype of NES platformer; 1987-1988)
- Super Mario Bros. (lost Commodore 64 port of NES platformer; existence unconfirmed; 1986)
- Super Mario Disk Version aka "Super Mario 64DD" (found unreleased Nintendo 64DD port of 3D platformer; 1999)
- Super Mario Kart R (partially found pre-release version of "Mario Kart 64"; 1995)
- Super Mario RPG 2 (lost pre-release version of "Paper Mario" Nintendo 64 role-playing game; late 1990s)
- Super Mario Spikers (lost build of cancelled Wii volleyball-wrestling sports game; 2007)
- Super Mario's Wacky Worlds (found prototype of cancelled CD-i game; 1993)
- Super Mario World: Mario Attack (lost Japanese arcade game; 1996)
- Super Mario World (partially found early build of Super Nintendo platformer; 1989)
- Super Mario Wiki page on beta elements of the game which mentions the GameCube version. Retrieved 10 Nov '16
- N-Sider article on the original GameCube build (courtesy of the Wayback Machine). Retrieved 10 Nov '16