The Cigarette and the Weed (partially found Ralph Bakshi animated short; 1981)
The Cigarette and the Weed is a 1981 animated short film by legendary controversial animator Ralph Bakshi who is known for his animated projects such as the 1960's Terrytoons, Fritz the Cat, Coonskin, American Pop, Cool World, Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures and his guest appearance on Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon. The Cigarette and the Weed served as Bakshi's attempt to have a cartoon shown before a motion picture in movie theaters.
The short is about three minutes long and tells the story of a weed growing on a street corner, and a discarded cigarette butt that rolls up to the weed. The two converse before the cigarette rolls into a puddle and is extinguished.
While the short has been screened at multiple film festivals, and a brief, audioless clip of it was featured in the 1982 film Halloween III: Season of the Witch, it has yet to be fully publicly distributed in any way, officially or otherwise.
- Bobby's Girl (lost footage from unfinished animated film; 1980s)
- Cool World (partially lost unreleased screenplay of Ralph Bakshi live-action animated film; 1990-1992)
- Hey Good Lookin' (partially found original version of Ralph Bakshi animated film; 1975)
- Hound Town (partially lost NBC animated TV show pilot; 1989)
- J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings Part I (partially found deleted scenes from fantasy-adventure film; 1978)
- Trickle Dickle Down (found Ralph Bakshi political short; 2012)
- John K. interview, including his reaction to the short film. Retrieved 15 Mar '16
- Screening information from 2005 at the American Cinematheque in Hollywood. Retrieved 15 Mar '16
- Post from Ralph Bakshi's official Twitter account confirming the short's presence in Halloween III. Retrieved 22 Feb '23