Difference between revisions of "Paccie (non-existent PlayStation 2 game; 2004)"
m (Connor64 moved page Paccie (lost PlayStation 2 game; existence unconfirmed; 2004) to Paccie (non-existent PlayStation 2 game; 2004))
Revision as of 02:09, 30 July 2020
Paccie was a maze game supposedly released by infamous European game publisher Phoenix Games for the PlayStation 2 in 2004. The game (like many of the other titles released by Phoenix) remains most infamous today for its box art, which is commonly featured on many "worst video game box art" lists online due to the poor quality of the CGI featured in the image, and the unappealing character design that is an obvious plagiarism of Pac-Man.
Nothing is currently known about the gameplay of the game, though it could be easily inferred from the very similar title and appearance of the character that the game is little more than a Pac-Man ripoff.
Very little remains known about this title online, with the frequently shared box art being the only evidence of its existence. This has lead many people to question if the game was ever actually made at all, with some theorizing that the box art was a mock-up for a planned but unproduced title, created purely to fill up space in catalogs, or a simple hoax. This idea is further supported by the overall lack of information available for the game online in comparison to other titles released by Phoenix, with the unconfirmed release date of December 31st, 2004 being the only alleged piece of information to have resurfaced about the game. On July 11th, 2020, YouTuber RetroDetect made a video about Paccie, detailing how it never made it past the concept stage, and that the box art was nothing more than a placeholder. The placeholder box art itself is stolen from a raytracing competition held years before Phoenix Games even existed.
- Page for the game on Giant Bomb. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Worst video game box art list featuring Paccie. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- PlayStation Age Forums thread about Phoenix Games in which the game is brought up. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Panel at the Norwich Games Festival 2019 in which the game is briefly mentioned. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- 4chan thread about Paccie. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- Page for Paccie on IGDB. Retrieved 30 Jun '19
- RetroDetect's video. Retrieved 29 Jul '20