SpongeBob SquarePants "SpaceBob InvaderPants/Krabs' Army" (unfinished episodes of Nickelodeon animated series; 2015)
SpongeBob Squarepants is a long-running children's animated series that started on May 1st, 1999, created by the late Stephen Hillenburg. SpongeBob follows the misadventures of the eponymous sponge and his friends under the sea. The show has had three films so far and currently, as of December 2020, Nickelodeon has broadcasted 268 episodes across thirteen seasons. However, there are two scrapped episodes/segments that were planned during the ninth season of the show that never came to fruition.
During Season 9, two segments were planned for the show. These episodes were titled SpaceBob InvaderPants and Krabs' Army. Not much is known about these episodes' synopsis, except for one commonly tossed around for "SpaceBob InvaderPants" reads "SpongeBob and his friends try to get in contact with alien life." No synopsis for "Krabs' Army" exists, but one can probably think that it would be about Mr. Krabs making his own army, possibly in a similar fashion to the third season episode "Plankton's Army". These episodes had appeared in Nickelodeon schedules around 2014 or 2015, and was possibly announced on Nickelodeon schedules to air in summer of 2015.
However, once the summer of 2015 passed, the episodes were nowhere to be seen. Soon, the current co-executive producer of the series, Vincent Waller, was asked if the episodes were still going to air. Waller replied with:
"They didn't make it past storyboards".
Also, when asked about why the episodes were scrapped, Waller said:
"We didn't feel like they were worthy of your attention".
Confusingly, Waller also debunked the episode's existence in another tweet, stating "If that is supposed to be an episode title, I've never heard of it".
In May 2018, Waller was once again asked about the scrapped episodes. He stated that he barely remembered the plot of "Krabs' Army", but also stated that "SpaceBob InvaderPants" involved an alien invasion with pod copies of the show's characters.
As of 2019, it has been over four years since the scrapping of these episodes, and not much has surfaced. A Wikia post on Encyclopedia SpongeBobia claims that storyboards for one of the episodes did exist. A link was provided to Casey Alexander's Facebook page, but as of 2019, the link is dead. Unless by pure chance the crew could decide to go back to the drawing board and start production up again, these cancelled episodes may never see the light of day.
In the twelfth season episode "FarmerBob", in the climax, hillbilly aliens come to Old Man Jenkins' farm and have a barn dance there. It's possible that the designs of the aliens in this episode could be similar to the ones in "SpaceBob InvaderPants". Still, little information is available on the two episodes.
On January 30th, 2019, LMW user Thespongeywun uploaded some storyboards for "SpaceBob InvaderPants", archived from the deleted post on Casey Alexander's Facebook page. However, the picture is very low quality and the illustrations and writing are nearly illegible. Nothing of "Krabs' Army" has surfaced.
- A Day With SpongeBob SquarePants: The Movie (unproduced unauthorized direct-to-DVD mockumentary film; 2011)
- Astrology with Squidward (found series of "Spongebob Squarepants" animated shorts; 2000s)
- SpongeBob Cartoon Creator (partially found original version of Flash game; 2008-2013)
- SpongeBob: Re-Hydrated (partially lost "SpongeBob SquarePants" animated short; 2003)
- SpongeBob SquarePants (partially lost deleted scenes of Nickelodeon animated series; 1999-present)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Ain't Life a Beach (partially found Nickelodeon press kit; 1999)
- SpongeBob SquarePants and the Nicktoons Gravjet Racing (lost build of cancelled Xbox Live Arcade racing game; 2009)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Happiness Squared (lost video game based on SpongeBob SquarePants; late 2000s)
- SpongeBob SquarePants "Sailor Mouth" (lost uncensored version of animated series episode; existence unconfirmed; 2001)
- SpongeBob SquarePants Saves the Krusty Krab 3D (found computer game; 2002)
- SpongeBob SquarePants "Shanghaied/You Wish" (lost English audio from alternate "Patchy the Pirate" segments; 2001)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Underpants Slam (found Xbox Live Arcade game; 2007)
- SpongeBob SquarePants "War Blowers" (found full version of animated series music; 1999)
- SpongeBob's Truth or Square (found Nick Arcade party game; 2009)
- SpongeBob Town (lost build of cancelled massively multiplayer online game based on Nickelodeon animated TV series; 2012)
- Encyclopedia SpongeBobia post providing a dead link to storyboards for the episode. Retrieved 29 Jan '19
- Tweet from Vincent Waller about the episode. Retrieved 29 Jan '19
- Another tweet from Waller talking about why the episodes were scrapped. Retrieved 29 Jan '19
- Tweet from Waller "debunking" the episode's existence. Retrieved 29 Jan '19
- Tweet from Waller revealing the plot of "SpaceBob InvaderPants. Retrieved 29 Jan '19