Animaniacs "I'm Mad" (partially found original theatrical version of animated short; 1994)
Animaniacs is a 1993 animated sketch comedy series that features a variety of shorts starring different animated characters. The most popular group of characters on the show were the Warner siblings, a trio of forgotten cartoon characters from the 1930s who made their escape into the modern world 50 years after they were locked away for causing mischief. In 1994, the trio starred in their own short that played before the Don Bluth movie Thumbelina entitled I'm Mad, which told the story of the siblings taking a trip to the circus with Dr. Scratchansniff that doesn't go as planned when the eldest sibling, Yakko, and the youngest sibling Dot spend most of the time arguing, while Wakko is nervous about his own problems.
While the short was aired on TV as part of the fourth episode of the second season of the show, the original theatrical cut of the short, which used additional title cards to an instrumental of the Animaniacs theme, has not resurfaced in its' entirety.
After Thumbelina's theatrical run, the only way to see the theatrical cut of this short was through brief glimpses on the 1994 VHS release "Animaniacs Sing-Along: Yakko's World". But because the short was part of a re-dubbed framing device where Mary Hartless presented the short as a film premiere (using footage that was originally from the episode Taming of the Screwy), only half of the four title cards are shown in their entirety, with scenes of the Warners in a projection booth and a re-dubbed scene from the episode Bumbie's Mom with Slappy telling her nephew Skippy about how hard Steven Spielberg worked on the short, preventing the viewer from seeing them.
On December 7th, 2014, AnimeSuperhero user DaffyDonaldQW93 discovered an eBay listing from the seller davespeanuts of a 35mm film reel version of the short, which sold five days later to an unknown bidder. It is unknown who owns this particular reel and/or if they intend to share it online.
Other Articles Relating to Kids' WB and Animaniacs
- Animaniacs: The New Year's Party Tonight (partially lost alternate version of Animaniacs short; 1995)
- Pinky and the Brain: Brainstem (lost preview version of song; 1995)
- Kids' WB! Crazy Takes (partially found promos; early 2000s)
- Animaniacs (unproduced "Minerva Mink" animated shorts; early 1990s)
- Animaniacs "Potty Emergency" (lost cut scenes of animated series episode; 1993)
- Welcome Home, Animaniacs! (partially found Kids' WB Saturday morning preview; 1995)
- IMDB's trivia for the short I'm Mad. Retrieved 19 Jan '19
- IMDB's listing for Animaniacs Season 2 Episode 4 titled "I'm Mad/Bad Mood Bobby/Katie Ka-Boom: The Blemish/Fake". Retrieved 19 Jan '19
- A Vimeo posting of the "Yakko's World" sing-along tape that contains glimpses of the original theatrical cut of the short (starts at 21:34). Retrieved 19 Jan '19
- AnimeSuperhero thread on the discovery of the eBay listing of the short. Retrieved 19 Jan '19
- The eBay listing by davespeanuts. Retrieved 19 Jan '19