GoldenEye 007 (found build of cancelled Xbox Live Arcade remaster of Nintendo 64 first-person shooter; 2007-2008)
Starting in 2007, Rare was developing a remaster of their hit 1997 game GoldenEye 007 for the Xbox Live Arcade. However, issues related to licensing led to the project's cancellation in 2008.
GoldenEye 007 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Rare and published by Nintendo in 1997 for the Nintendo 64, based on the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye. The game was immensely popular, selling over 8 million copies worldwide and garnering critical acclaim for its atmospheric level design, realistic and deep gameplay, and addictive multiplayer mode. GoldenEye 007 maintains a strong cult following and a large speedrunning presence to this day.
In 1998, Nintendo lost the James Bond license to Electronic Arts, which would release several James Bond games in the following years. Later, in 2006, Activision acquired the license. They eventually released a modernized reimagining of GoldenEye 007 for the Wii in 2010, later released in 2011 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
In 2002, Microsoft fully acquired Rare, making them a first-party developer for the Xbox.
Development and Cancellation
In 2007, Rare was developing an online-enabled remaster for the Xbox 360 as an Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) digital download. However, the project would be cancelled in 2008 due to disagreements between the many stockholders of the James Bond IP. It was two months away from completion.
Leaks and Availability
In December 2020, the XBLA version was leaked on 4chan; however, the files were protected by a 100-character password which was never shared or solved.
In a separate leak from January 2021, GoldenEye YouTuber Graslu00 livestreamed a full playthrough on YouTube, saying in a pinned comment to expect a public release in 2021. On February 2nd, 2021, an unknown party under the alias SeanBeansBean released a build to the public, dated August 25th, 2007; it can be played on a modified Xbox 360 or an emulator.
- Banjo-Karting/Banjo-Kazoomie (lost prototypes of "Banjo-Kazooie" racing games; mid-2000s)
- Banjo-Threeie (non-existent sequel to platformer game series; early 2000s)
- Cascade (lost build of cancelled Xbox 360 massive multiplayer online game; 2000-2007)
- Diddy Kong Racing Adventure (found build of cancelled Nintendo GameCube sequel to "Diddy Kong Racing"; 2004)
- Dinosaur Planet (found build of cancelled Nintendo 64 action-adventure game; 1999-2000)
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (lost build of cancelled Virtual Boy port of Super Nintendo sequel platformer; 1996)
- Donkey Kong: Coconut Crackers (lost build of cancelled Game Boy Advance puzzle game; 2002)
- Donkey Kong Racing (lost build of cancelled Nintendo GameCube racing sequel game; 2002)
- Jet Force Gemini (lost build of cancelled Game Boy Color port of Nintendo 64 third-person shooter; 2000)
- Project Dream (lost builds of cancelled Super Nintendo/Nintendo 64 precursor to "Banjo-Kazooie" platformer; 1994-1997)
- Sabreman Stampede (lost build of cancelled Xbox 360 adventure platformer; 2002-2005)
- Savannah (lost build of cancelled Xbox 360 Kinect prototype; 2006-2007)
- Twelve Tales: Conker 64 (lost build of early version of "Conker's Bad Fur Day" Nintendo 64 platformer; late 1990s)
- Unseen64 article on the Goldeneye 007 remaster.
- The Cutting Room Floor page of the game.
- Internet Archive upload of the rom.
- Rare devs talk about the nearly completed Goldeneye 007 remake - Ars Technica.
- Interview: The Real Story Behind GoldenEye HD, as Told by its Directors - Video Games Chronicle.
- Why Did GoldenEye XBLA Stall? - 1UP.com (archived) Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- No, Nintendo Is Not Solely To Blame For The Cancellation Of Goldeneye's XBLA Remake - Nintendo Life Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- Phil Spencer's tweet on why the Goldeneye 007 remaster was never released. Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- This is what Goldeneye 007 might have looked like on Xbox 360 - The Verge Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- An archived 4chan thread on the Goldeneye 007 remaster. Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- YouTube longplay video of GoldenEye 007 XBLA. Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- Archived 8kun thread which links to the original Pastebin file. Retrieved 04 Feb '21
- GoldenEye 007: Cancelled Remaster Files Have Leaked - IGN Retrieved 04 Feb '21