Lurpak (partially lost Aardman Animations commercials for Danish butter brand; 1990s)
One of the various series of commercials created by British animation studio Aardman is for the Lurpak brand, centered around the character of Douglas (who is made out of butter) and his trumpet and the female narrator that often gets annoyed by him.
Many of the adverts were uploaded to the internet through YouTube, though some of them cannot be found in their original versions or at all. There was a Douglas videotape released that went through ads made to that point that featured some otherwise unseen.
To coincide with the 1992 Olympics, Lurpak had a special "Gold Coins" promotion and six Douglas adverts to go with it, in which he tries out a lot of different sports that his food-based and sized surroundings will allow him. There were the following:
|1||Hurdling (over napkins down the dining table)||Partially Found||Footage seen in the Douglas video.|
|2||Diving (Into cake mix from a bread knife)||Found|
|3||Weightlifting (using carrot slices on a cocktail stick)||Partially Found||Footage seen in the Douglas video.|
|4||Discus (Carrot slice again)||Found|
|5||(Trampolining on bread)||Partially Found||Footage is seen in the Douglas video.|
|6||(Running)||Found||Footage is seen in the Douglas video.|
Another ad had the narrator forcing the uncooperative Douglas into the shot and to speak properly to the camera. This can be found, but only as presented in the Douglas video.
One ad for a promotional Douglas butter dish has also since been found.
In Aardman: An Epic Journey Taken One Frame at a Time, there still an unknown Lurpak advert. This may not have resemblance with any adverts currently available online, but Douglas's expression does look it may have been from the end of the "Asleep" ad. Looking at the still for "Love Story" used for this article's image, there are also visual discrepancies between it and any actual frames from the ad, so it could just be another case of that rather than an unknown advert.
- Aardman Animations (found Cuprinol stop-motion TV ads from British animation studio; 1988-late 1990s)
- Aardman Animations (partially found stop-motion commercials from British animation studio; 1980s-2010s)
- A Grand Day Out (lost Peter Hawkins' "Gromit" dialogue from stop-motion animated film; 1989)
- Pib and Pog (lost original college animation of stop-motion short; early 1990s)
- Shaun The Sheep (lost pilot of British stop-motion TV series; early to mid 2000s)
- Sumitomo Life (found "Wallace & Gromit" commercial for Japanese insurance company; 2000-2001)
- Wallace & Gromit Alive On Stage In A Grand Night Out (lost recording of stage show; 1997-1998)