The Property of a Lady (lost production material of cancelled James Bond film; 1990-1993)
The Property of a Lady is an unreleased James Bond movie based on the Ian Fleming short story of the same name. Announced at the 1990 Cannes Film Festival, The Property of a Lady was to star Timothy Dalton in his third feature to complete his three-film contract, possibly alongside Elizabeth Hurley, Catherine Zeta-Jones or Lucy Liu and Anthony Hopkins as the villain. The film was ultimately reworked into GoldenEye due to legal issues, which starred Pierce Brosnan (the fifth official Bond actor) following Dalton's contract expiring.
Due to most of the plot of The Property of a Lady being used in the James Bond movie, Octopussy, an entirely new plot was written. The film originally followed Bond as he investigated in Hong Kong a prolific businessman's actions, in an effort to counter terrorist activity and prevent World War III. Some elements from The Property of a Lady survived and were reused in the film. For example, the opening scene of GoldenEye, outside a nuclear facility, was taken from the original version of the film. However, many other elements of the film have not resurfaced.
Production began in 1990, but it is unknown how far The Property of a Lady got. Production ultimately ended in 1993 when Timothy Dalton's contract ended. A lot of plot points for The Property of a Lady were re-worked into the 1995 James Bond film, GoldenEye.
Due to the unknown nature of production, there is no known test footage for The Property of a Lady to have surfaced. Only a teaser poster has surfaced.
- Calvin - Bond Reviewer (partially found episodes of internet review series; 2010)
- GoldenEye 007 (found build of cancelled Xbox Live Arcade remaster of Nintendo 64 first-person shooter; 2007-2008)
- Goldeneye 007 (lost build of unreleased Virtual Boy game; 1996)
- Goldfinger (partially found deleted scenes from James Bond movie; 1964)
- James Bond 007: A License To Thrill (partially found motion simulator ride; 1998-2002)
- John Smith: Special Agent (found original version of "James Bond Jr." NES game; 1991)
- Omnibus: The British Hero (lost television documentary; 1973)
- Per Fine Ounce (partially found manuscript of James Bond novel; 1966)
- Warhead 2000 (cancelled James Bond film; 1996-1999)
- You Only Live Twice (lost Jan Werich footage of spy film; 1967)
BBC article on The Property of a Lady Retrieved 10 Oct '18
- MI6 Community Forum thread. Retrieved 04 Apr '16.