Sonic The Hedgehog: Awakening (lost build of cancelled "Sonic the Hedgehog" game; existence unconfirmed; late 2000s)
The game's listing on Pete Capella's website, located in between Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Rivals.
Status: Existence Unconfirmed
Sonic The Hedgehog: Awakening is an unreleased video game in the popular Sonic The Hedgehog franchise that was in development sometime between 2006-2009, and cancelled at an unknown date. Because the game was cancelled before its announcement, and no physical proof of the game exists, the game's existence could be considered unconfirmed.
Currently, there are no known screenshots, videos, prototype builds or even concept art for this game. The only known official mentioning of this game is that it is credited on Pete Capella's website, who was the voice actor for Silver The Hedgehog from 2006 to 2009. This would imply that the game was far enough into development to begin work on voice acting, but was subsequently cancelled during the recording period or shortly afterward, though no recordings have surfaced online.
This has led people to speculate that the game was going to be centered on Silver, as no other voice actor from the Sonic franchise has been credited for this game except for Pete.
Another common speculation is that the game was going to tie into 2006's Sonic The Hedgehog (aka Sonic '06) in some way, seeing as that title was Silver's debut game, and the reason for the game's cancellation was due to the poor reception of Sonic '06.
A different speculation is that Sonic The Hedgehog: Awakening was simply the working title for a different Sonic game, though there's no real evidence as to what games it could be, other than that it couldn't be the games already credited on Pete Capella's website, which are Sonic '06, Sonic Rivals, and Sonic and the Secret Rings.
- Shadow the Hedgehog (lost build of unreleased Teen rated version of platformer; 2005)
- Sister Sonic (lost build of cancelled "Sonic the Hedgehog" localization of "Popful Mail" Sega CD side-scrolling platformer; 1993)
- Sonic 3D Blast (found cassette demo tape of unused game soundtrack; 1996)
- Sonic Adventure New Year's DLC (found "Sonic the Hedgehog" holiday-themed DLC; 1998)
- Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (found iOS game; 2010)
- Sonic DS (lost Nintendo DS tech demo; 2004)
- Sonic Generations (lost game demo; 2010)
- Sonic Jr. (lost build of unreleased Sega Pico game; existence unconfirmed; 1994)
- Sonic Saturn (lost build of cancelled Sega Saturn prototype of platformer; mid-1990s)
- Sonic Sports (lost build of cancelled Sega 32X sports game; 1995)
- Sonic Synergy (lost original build of "Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric" Wii U action-adventure game; 2007-2013)
- Sonic the Hedgehog "2006" (lost complete build of Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 platformer; 2006)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost build of cancelled Amiga port of Sega Genesis platformer; 1992)
- Sonic The Hedgehog (lost build of cancelled Sega CD port of Sega Genesis platformer; 1992)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost Tokyo Toy Show prototype build of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platformer; 1990)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (lost Winter Consumer Electronics Show 1991 demo build of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive platformer; 1991)
- Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (lost build of cancelled iOS port of Sega Genesis platformers; 2014)
- Sonic X-Treme (found build of unreleased Sega Saturn video game; 1996)
- Sonic-16 (lost build of unreleased Sega Genesis/Mega Drive game based on "Sonic the Hedgehog" animated TV series; 1993)
- Sonic Stadium's article detailing the initial discovery of the game on Pete Capella's website. Retrieved 21 Apr '17
- Pete Capella's website listing his resume (courtesy of the Wayback Machine). Retrieved 21 Apr '17