Mister Rogers' Neighborhood "Mister Rogers Talks About Conflict" (found episode arc of PBS children's educational series; 1983)
The fourteenth season of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood debuted in November 1983 with a five-episode arc titled "Mister Rogers Talks About Conflict", a direct response to the ABC telefilm The Day After, which featured graphic nuclear-war imagery. This arc focused on the Neighborhood of Make-Believe where they almost go to war by jumping to conclusions. Due to both the episodes and news of the time involving war, the arc was pulled from regular rotation on April 5th, 1996.
Finding[edit | edit source]
On March 20th, 2017, YouTuber TROG SLEEP NOW uploaded the first two episodes online. Shortly after, on April 9th, 2017, the entire arc was uploaded to private torrent tracker MySpleen by contributor Snowpeck, marking the first time it has been widely available in full since 1996. Said upload has since been mirrored elsewhere, including a re-upload to the Internet Archive by staff member Jason "Sketchcow" Scott as part of The VHS Vault.
Restoration[edit | edit source]
On November 24th, 2018, Lost Media Wiki user YoshiKiller2S finished a restoration on the entire conflict arc and uploaded it to MySpleen and the Internet Archive. The restoration fixed a lot of problems with the original upload like tweaking the saturation, deinterlacing and fixing the audio for some episodes.
Episode Synopses[edit | edit source]
- Mr. Rogers goes to see a toy bank collection, and the Neighborhood of Make-Believe wants to buy a record player for their school, but King Friday finds out that Corny is making parts for Southwood.
- Mr. Rogers visits the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia to see how coins are made. But in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, however, King Friday jumps to the conclusion that Southwood is making bombs.
- Mr. Rogers demonstrates a Brailler then visits a cave to see the petroglyphs of an earlier civilization. Meanwhile, Lady Elaine in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe wants to prove Southwood is peaceful.
- Mr. Rogers makes marbles, and the Neighborhood of Make-Believe sends a peacekeeper to Southwood and finds out they are just making a bridge.
- Mr. Rogers shows how record players are made, and Neighborhood of Make-Believe has a peace festival and it prompts Keith David to help the school at Someplace Else.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Video[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia page listing of Season 14 episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Retrieved 24 Apr '15
- The entire week uploaded to Myspleen. Retrieved 28 May '17
- The restoration of the entire week uploaded to MySpleen. Retrieved 21 Dec '18
References[edit | edit source]
- Daily Beast article on the episode arc's resurface. Retrieved 03 Oct '20
- Mental Floss article on the episode arc. Retrieved 03 Oct '20