Me and My Friends (partially found live-action pilot of "The Backyardigans" Nick Jr. CGI-animated series; 1998)
Me and My Friends is a live-action pilot episode taped at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida in September 1998. It was declined by Nickelodeon, though an animated pilot featuring the characters of "Me and My Friends" created in 2002 was picked up as the CGI animated series, The Backyardigans.
The only characters from The Backyardigans who appear in Me and My Friends are Uniqua, Pablo, Tyrone, and Tasha. Three puppet characters called "the Meerkats" also appeared. Austin, the purple kangaroo, is absent. This may be the reason why he is called "the new kangaroo on the block" in some of his character bios.
The characters' appearances aren't vastly different from that of the CGI series, besides a few minor differences:
- Uniqua has visible nostrils.
- Pablo's propeller is yellow, as opposed to red.
- Tyrone and Tasha's nostrils are black instead of dark yellow and dark orange. These were utilized as vision areas.
- Tyrone's shirt has yellow/blue stripes rather than red/blue stripes.
A clip of Me and My Friends was released in a 5-minute compilation video created by former crew members of Nickelodeon Studios for its 10-year anniversary in 2000. There are around 3 seconds of video without the original audio. At least eight photos from the production were released by the pilot’s costume designers.
Other Nick Jr. Pilots
- Blue Prints (partially found unaired pilot episode of "Blue's Clues" animated/live action TV series; 1995)
- Dora the Explorer (partially found unaired pilot episodes of Nick Jr. animated series; late 1990s)
- Super Why! (lost stop-motion Nick Jr. pilot of PBS Kids CGI series; 1999)
- MEGA mirror of "Best of NSF, Florida". Retrieved 13 Apr '15
- The Backyardigans Wiki article about "Me and My Friends". Retrieved 13 Apr '15
- An article about the pilot from puppeteer Rick Lyon. Retrieved 08 Jun '15