The Good Night Show with Melanie/Leo (partially found children's television series; 2005-2006)
The Goodnight Show is a TV series that plays between other shows on Sprout (now known as Universal Kids). While Nina & Star's episodes were very popular with audiences, there were two other hosts that came before her, Melanie Martinez (unrelated to the singer) & Noel Macneal played there respected roles between 2005-2006, and a series of unfortunate events in the early years had put the series on a very uncertain future.
In September 2005, in a joint venture between Comcast, NBCUniversal, PBS, and HIT Entertainment/Sesame Workshop, PBS Kids Sprout was launched on Comcast and later other cable/satellite providers. The original host was Melanie until mid-July 2006 when the network found some raunchy videos online and fired her, and for a short period of time, the second host was Leo, aka Noel MacNeal, who was the Intern Host from September-December 2006 and because he is a puppeteer, it is believed that he came up with the idea for Lucy the Firefly.
- Star, a star-shaped puppet, portrayed by Stacia Newcomb, was the show's co-host. Star served as the child character of the show, asking questions about the evening's theme, commenting to the main host about the segment (such as the Good Night Game), or encouraging viewers to follow him as he performed nighttime routines such as brushing his teeth or reading a bedtime story. Star debuted shortly before the departure of the program's original host, "Melanie." and stuck around throughout the rest of the series.
- Lucy the Firefly is a firefly puppet who was introduced with Noel Macneal; she was featured in games in animated form, such as "Lucy Light the Way"; in this game, viewers were shown parts of a picture (as though they were illuminated by a firefly's light) and then guessed what the picture represented, and used to introduce shows starting with Noel Macneal
- Hush was a real-life goldfish who was originally used to introduce show segments with Melaine.
|#||Host Name||Co-Host(s)||Season(s)||Original Air Date||Status|
|1||Melanie||Star & Hush||Season 1, Season 2 Original||Sept 26th, 2005-Mid July 2006||Partially Found|
|2||Leo||Star, Lucy & Hush||Season 2 Re-Taped||Sept 10th-Dec 17th, 2006||Partially Found|
Many of the elements and segments had largely remained the same when the show switched hosts like "Moonbeam Wheel, Sprout-o-Scope, Stretching, Poems, Sign Language, etc." but after Melaine's departure and the show switched hosts, several segments were cut out such as: "Goodnight Tales and Shadow Play" for unknown reasons.
Season 2 has two known versions, one With Melanie and Star that aired in July 2006, several weeks before she got fired, and another re-taped version with Noel Macneal "Leo" & Star that aired from September-December 2006.
Up until 2016, Melaine Martinez's version of The Good Night Show was completely missing, but now has a couple of clips and a partially lost episode titled "Bath And Bubble Time" available online, And as of September 5th, 2020, Several Clips of Noel Macneal's Version have finally resurfaced 
Since these variations of the show are so obscure nowadays, and aired at a time when the Sprout channel wasn't nearly as popular or well known as it would later become, it is not fully known how many episodes were produced & aired for Melaine Martinez & Noel Macneal's seasons of the show, What we do know is that Noel Macneal has worked on the show before becoming Guest Host, Helped co-produce 24 episodes for the show & was the author of several songs for the show , and we also know 18 of the Episode Titles/Topics for Melanie Martinez's First Season., But what we don't fully know is how many in total were made for the First Season, and because the original Second Season had such a short run on Sprout, and PBS really did try to erase the exisitance of her all together due to the controversy, we don't know how many episodes were produced, let alone how many of them actually aired., We also don't know how many episodes were Produced/Aired for Noel Macneal's version of the show & don't know if there was just one episode, or if there were multiple episodes discussing different topics like the Former & Latter hosts
List of Known Episodes
|Bath & Bubble Time||Partially Lost|
|Sunrise and Sunset||Lost|
|Moon and Stars||Lost|
|People Who Work At Night||Partially Found|
|Time & Clocks||Lost|
|Shadows & Friendly Monsters||Lost|
- Random blog post discussing Noel Macneal on The Good Night Show . Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Archived page of SproutOnline.com from October 23rd, 2006 with proof that Noel Macneal was once the host of The Good Night Show. Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Wikipedia page on The Good Night Show. Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Multichannel article about GNS season 2. Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Multichannel article about Melaine being fired. Retrieved 18 Feb '20
- Noel Macneal's Instagram post with a clip of his version of The Good Night Show. Retrieved 5 Sep '20
- Noel Macneal's Resume. Retrieved 6 Sep '20
- Archived page of the Sprout Online website dating back to July 3rd, 2006 which lists the majority of Melaine Martinez's episodes (among other info). Retrieved 18 Feb '20