Robot Wars: Series 8 (found Science Channel reruns of robot combat game show; 2018)
Robot Wars: Series 8 is as the name suggests the eighth season of the BBC robot combat game show Robot Wars. A reboot of the show, the series originally ran from 24th July to 28th August 2016 on BBC 2. From August to September 2018, Science Channel would air reruns of the series, featuring commentary from Bill Seward.
Background[edit | edit source]
In July 2018, parent company Discovery, who would later air the reboot series of BattleBots, announced that Science Channel would broadcast reruns of Robot Wars: Series 8, with its premiere episode being set for 8th August 2018. This would mark the reboot series' first airing in the United States.
The six episodes would air between 8th August to 12th September 2018. Compared to the original BBC 2 episodes, some changes were apparent. The main difference between the two versions was that commentary from Jonathan Pearce was replaced by analysis from fellow sports commentator Bill Seward. Seward would also replace the roles of hosts Dara Ó Briain and Angela Scanlon, who only appeared in brief segments of the show. Furthermore, the series was known simply as Robot Wars, with each episode being given a name, Heat 1 being called "First Blood". Finally, the statsboards used to provide key information about robots like weight and armour were altered, utilising the imperial system.
Ultimately, the Science Channel reruns were not well-received. Some fans criticised the alterations for their focus on providing BattleBots-esque edits that removed the show's charm. Additionally, Seward's commentary was also panned for being generic and lacking the enthusiasm of Pearce's original voiceover.
Availability[edit | edit source]
Because of the reruns' unpopularity, the majority of Science Channel episodes of Robot Wars: Series 8 became lost media. The only full episode that was currently publicly available prior to September 2022 was Heat 1/"First Blood", having been uploaded to YouTube alongside a trailer promoting the episodes. Additionally, a few clips of the other episodes, including "Thor's Fury", "Flip Happens", "Going Airborne", "Hell On Wheels", and "Championship Clash", were uploaded onto Science Channel's Facebook page in August and September 2018.
By 6th September 2022, all episodes were found and uploaded onto YouTube by a user under the alias of "Deadeye John".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
- 1995 Robot Wars UK Open (partially found rejected robot combat TV show pilot; 1995)
- American Robot Wars 2000 (lost MTV pilot of British robot combat game show; 2000)
- BattleBots (found Comedy Central robot combat game show; 2000-2002)
- BattleBots (lost build of unreleased GameCube/PlayStation 2 game based on robot combat TV series; 2003)
- BattleBots Collegiate Championship (partially lost unaired spinoff of robot combat TV show; 2009)
- The Big Breakfast (lost appearance of Robot Wars team on Channel 4 breakfast show; 1998)
- Blue Peter (partially found segments of Robot Wars teams on children's television series; 1998)
- Mechanoids (partially found BBC robot combat game show; 2003)
- Plunderbirds: Talk Robots (partially found unfinished robot combat mockumentary film; 2019)
- Robot Wars (found cameos of robot combat-themed BBC 2 ident; 1999-2000)
- Robot Wars (lost footage and HSE documentation of behind-the-scenes accidents of BBC robot combat game show; 1998-1999)
- Robot Wars (lost near-death footage of Jeremy Clarkson from robot combat game show; 1998)
- Robot Wars (lost work on unfinished cartoon series based on robot combat game show; existence unconfirmed; 2002-2004)
- Robot Wars (partially found footage of robot combat show qualifying auditions and battles; 1998-2003)
- Robot Wars (partially found unaired or partially aired battles of BBC robot combat game show; 1998-2017)
- Robot Wars (partially found uncut battles from BBC robot combat game show; 1998-2017)
- Robot Wars Extreme: Series 1 (lost original BBC Choice version of robot combat battle; 2001)
- Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors: Season 1 (found TNN robot combat game show; 2001)
- Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors: Season 2 (partially found behind-the-scenes footage of TNN robot combat game show; 2002)
- Robot Wars Revealed (partially found BBC Choice spin-off of robot combat game show; 1998-2000)
- Robot Wars: Series 8 (lost unaired pilot of BBC robot combat game show; 2016)
- Robot Wars: The Kick-Off (lost BNN robot combat special; 2001)
- Robotica (found TLC robot combat game show; 2001-2003)
- Robots Revenge (partially found Discovery robot combat documentary series; 2001)
- See Hear (lost appearance of Robot Wars team on BBC magazine show; 1999)
- Why Hypno-Disc can't work in an office (found testing video of Robot Wars competitor; 2000, 2007)
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Thor vs Shockwave on Science Channel's Facebook page.
- Dantomkia vs King B Remix vs Glitterbomb vs Overdozer on Science Channel's Facebook page.
- Eruption vs Storm 2 on Science Channel's Facebook page.
- Carbide vs TR2 on Science Channel's Facebook page.
References[edit | edit source]
- Discovery press release announcing the US premiere of Series 8 of Robot Wars. Retrieved 25 Jul '22
- Fulton Critic providing a list of airing dates for the Science Channel episodes. Retrieved 25 Jul '22
- r/robotwars post criticising the changes in the Science Channel reruns. Retrieved 25 Jul '22
- AwksNerd's review of the Science Channel reruns. Retrieved 25 Jul '22